There is no fixed rate or formula to determine the amount of maintenance for a spouse or ex-spouse in Singapore. The court will define a monthly payment or order reimbursement upon the product of receipts, or request a lump sum be paid based on a number of factors. This can loosely include:
- income, property, and other finances of the spouses;
- earning ability of both spouses;
- financial needs and responsibilities of the spouses during the marriage or expected in the foreseeable future;
- standard of living enjoyed by the family before the divorce;
- age of spouses and the duration of the marriage;
- any physical or mental disability;
- contributions made by spouses to family’s welfare, which include managing the home or caring for the family, among others; and
- value or benefit that would be unobtainable for any of the spouses after the dissolution of marriage.
For more information, please do get in touch to discuss your case.